This is a village in the municipality of Conway, on the east side of the river, about 2 miles south of Llandudno. Facing south, the village has a sunny climate, and a very attractive situation by the river. Immediately behind the village, on the summit of Vaerdre Hill, stand the ruins of Deganwy Castle. Originally “Din-Gonwy,” or Castle Conway, it was the greatest stronghold of the Welsh, one of the mighty bastions of the inner fortress of Eryri, or Snowdonia. Originally built in the sixth century, it was destroyed in 810, and later by Llewellyn the Great. Its final destruction was by Llewellyn ap Gryffydd in 1202. In 1284 Conway Castle pushed English overlordship across the river.