St. Asaph, or Llanelwy in welsh, is a small town on the spit of land between the rivers Cwlyd and Elwy, about 4 miles S. of Rhyl. The principal feature is the Cathedral, the smallest in England and Wales. Originally founded in the sixth century by St. Mungo, the Saint of Glasgow, when he was in refuge in Wales, and entrusted by him to a holy man called Asa, it was several times destroyed. Rebuilt in the late thirteenth century, in the fifteenth it lay again in ruins, after being wrecked by Owen Glyndwr, but it was finally rebuilt in 1482. This was the building which was restored in the nineteenth century by Sir Gilbert Scott. The tower is imposing, and the chancel stalls are of fine workmanship. In the vestry are several items of interest, including a Breeches Bible. Near St. Asaph, in the Cefn Hills, are caves which were found to contain bones of hyena, bear, reindeer and other animals which used to wander about these islands when Britain was still joined to the continent of Europe, and which were doubtless slain by our early ancestors. Although the caves are now empty, they are worth a visit - open on Thursdays and Saturdays as the view of the surrounding country is very pleasant.